Updated: March 11, 2021
We created this guide to Alexa Hue commands to give users a comprehensive resource on how to control their Philips Hue lights with their Alexa voice assistant.
After going through this guide, you should understand:
- Compatibility: The compatibility of Philips Hue lights and accessories with Alexa
- Voice commands: The full list of Alexa voice commands for Philips Hue lighting products
Let’s dive in.
Check Out Our Lists Of Best-Selling
Alexa Smart Home Devices
Using Alexa With Philips Hue
Philips Hue makes some of the best-selling smart home products on the market.
They’re well-known for their smart light bulbs, lamps, lighting fixtures, outdoor lighting, and accessories (such as motion sensors and switches).
(If you’re determining which Hue lights to buy, their 360 degree room tours can be a helpful resource.)
Compatibility With Alexa
Pairing the Alexa voice assistant with Philips Hue gives you a powerful setup, allowing you to control your Hue lights with dozens of voice commands.
So, can you use Alexa with your Hue lights? Yes!
How To Set Up Philips Hue Lights With Alexa
To use Alexa with your Hue lights, Alexa first has to “discover” your lights.
To do this, ensure that your your light(s) / bridge and Alexa device(s) are on the same wifi network, and then:
- Enable the Philips Hue skill within the Alexa app
- Sign-in to your Philips Hue account
- Alexa will then discover your light(s), after which you can assign them to a group
Alexa Hue Commands
The Alexa voice commands for Philips Hue lights are extremely intuitive and can be broken down into four types, corresponding to how you’re controlling your lights:
Control The Power
- Turn on (off) all the lights.
- Turn on (off) the [room] lights.
Change The Brightness
- Brighten (dim) the lights.
- Make my [room] lights brighter (dimmer).
- Brighten the lights in the [room] to %.
- Turn down the [room] lights to %.
- Dim the [room] light by %.
Change The Color
- Make my lights [warmer / cooler].
- Make the lights [bluer].
- Make my lights [whiter].
- Turn my [room] lights [red].
- Set the [room] lights to [magenta].
Change The Scene
- Turn on / off [scene] in the [room].
- Set the lights in the [room] to [scene].
- Set the [room] light to [Energize].
- Turn on [Tropical Twilight] in the [room].
- Turn off [Arctic Aurora] in the [room].
- Be sure to begin each command with “Alexa”, followed by what you see below
- A word in ( ) = an alternate option to the previous word
- E.g., in the command “turn on (off) the lights“, you can replace on with off
- A word in [ ] = a word that can be customized
- E.g., in the command “dim the [room] by %“, you should replace [room] and  based on your desired action
We hope that you enjoyed this guide to controlling your Philips Hue lights with your voice!
If you’re interested in other popular and luxurious uses of Alexa voice commands, be sure to check out the below guides.
Finally, if you have any questions or suggestions, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment.
In the meantime, enjoy these Alexa Hue commands!
The Commands Guru