Updated: July 29, 2021
We created this guide to Alexa Roku Commands to give Roku users a clear and concise answer to the question: how can I control my Roku device with my voice?
The structure is simple. We’ll cover both:
- The basics of setting up Alexa on Roku devices
- A shortlist of the best Alexa commands available to control your Roku
Let’s dive in.
Using Alexa With Roku
In March 2019, Roku announced the creation of the Roku Alexa skill. This enabled Roku’s streaming media player and its Roku TV television to work with Alexa.
Roku streaming stick users could now ask Alexa-enabled smart speakers (e.g., the Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, or Echo Show) to pause content, launch a streaming channel, or search for content.
Additionally, Roku TV owners could use Alexa commands to control their TV itself (not just the content). This included:
- Powering your TV on or off
- Adjusting or muting the volume
- Switching inputs (e.g., HDMI 1, etc.)
- Changing channels
How To Set Up Alexa On Roku
To use the Roku skill for Amazon Alexa, you need to link your Roku account to your Amazon account using the following steps.
I. Enabling The Roku Alexa Skill
- Open the Alexa mobile app
- Tap the Alexa app menu icon
- Tap Skills & Games
- Search for Roku in the search bar
- Tap the Enable button
II. Linking Your Account & Device
- Now, sign in to your Roku account
- Select the Roku device to use with Alexa
- Tap continue and return to the Alexa app
- Alexa will now find your Roku (if it’s on)
- Confirm the device to pair & the Echo to control it
- Finally, tap “link devices” and you’re done!
Alexa Roku Commands
In this section, we’ll go over the three types of Alexa voice commands to control your Roku streaming stick or Roku TV.
- Search for Content
- Control Playback
- Control Your Roku TV
Search For Content
- Alexa, find documentaries on den Roku
- Alexa, show comedies on kitchen Roku
- Alexa, pause on kitchen Roku
- Alexa, fast forward on living room Roku
- Alexa, rewind on bedroom Roku
- Alexa, launch Prime Video on den Roku
- Alexa, go home on office Roku
Roku TV Commands
- Alexa, turn on office Roku TV 
- Alexa, turn up the volume on den Roku
- Alexa, set volume to 20 on den Roku
- Alexa, mute bedroom Roku
- Alexa, change to channel 71 on Roku TV 
- Alexa, switch to HDMI 2 on kitchen Roku
Note: These commands are for controlling your TV itself (not its content). They work with Roku TVs only (not streaming sticks).
 To use the power on/off command, you must first enable Fast TV Start
 To use the channel command, you must have an HDTV antenna connected
We hope you enjoyed this guide to Alexa Roku commands and that it puts you well on your way to remote-free living.
If you’re lucky enough to also have an Amazon Fire Stick or Fire TV Cube, check out our ultimate guide to Fire TV Alexa commands. (Or, if you want to kick back and laugh at some profanity-laced entertainment, try the Samuel L Jackson skill below!)
And that should do it for this guide! If you have any questions or suggestions, don’t hesitate to leave a comment or send us an email.
Otherwise, enjoy using these Alexa Roku commands, and we hope to see you back here soon!
The Commands Guru