Updated: March 2, 2021
You will be tempted to make a mess on purpose.
That’s how good it feels to summon your vacuum with your voice.
And to spread the good feels, we created this guide to Alexa Roomba commands. After reading it, you should be able to answer the following questions:
- Compatibility: does Roomba work with Alexa?
- Set-Up: how do I set up Alexa with Roomba?
- Voice Commands: which voice commands can I use with Roomba?
Check Out Our Lists Of Best-Selling
Alexa Smart Home Devices
Using Alexa With Your iRobot Roomba
Let’s start with the very basics: what is a Roomba?
Roombas are iRobot’s line of robot vacuums, which were launched in 2002.
They are some of the most advanced robot vacuums on the market. They can map out your home and, after learning your cleaning habits, offer custom cleaning recommendations. (For example, pointing out heavier areas of dirt and dust, and offering to vacuum those areas on a stronger setting).
Do Roombas Work With Alexa?
All wifi-enabled Roombas work with the Amazon Alexa voice assistant (as well as Google Assistant).
Roomba can even understand Alexa commands spoken in English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, and Spanish.
Which Roombas Are Wifi-Enabled?
The short answer is almost all of them. For reference, see below the full list of wifi-enabled Roomba vacuums:
- e5 and e6 series
- 670 and 690 series
- 890 series
- 960 and 980 series
- i3 and i7 series
How To Connect Alexa To Your Roomba
Alexa can do quite a bit by herself, but her value really skyrockets when you connect her to additional smart home products.
“Alexa skills” (i.e., apps for voice assistants) enable Alexa to communicate with these third-party smart home products. They can be downloaded from the Alexa Skills Store.
The iRobot Alexa Skill
Alexa skills are fairly new, so their quality can vary quite a bit. (In fact, the majority of Alexa Skills have a rating of ~3 stars or fewer.)
iRobot, however, has been the exception.
The iRobot Home Alexa Skill has a whopping 42,000+ reviews and averages over 4 stars. If you’ve ever visited the Alexa Skills Store, you’ll understand how impressive that is!
Alexa Roomba Commands
Now that your devices are linked, you’re all set to vacuum hands-free with Alexa commands.
You can use these voice commands to, for example:
- Control a current cleaning
- Check the status or location of your Roomba
- Call your vacuum to a specific room (or spot within a room!)
- Schedule future cleanings
1. Control Cleanings
Start / Stop
- Alexa, ask Roomba to start vacuuming
- Alexa, tell Roomba to stop cleaning
Pause / Resume
- Alexa, tell Roomba to pause vacuuming
- Alexa, tell Roomba to resume cleaning
Send To Charging Base
- Alexa, tell Roomba to go home
- Alexa, tell Roomba to go recharge
- Alexa, tell iRobot to return to its dock
Cleaning Specific Zones
- Alexa, ask Roomba to vacuum the den
- Alexa, tell Roomba there is a mess in the office and den
- Alexa, tell Roomba to vacuum in front of the couch
2. Check Status & Location
- Alexa, ask Roomba what it’s doing
- Alexa, ask Roomba if it’s done yet
Locate / Stop Locate
- Alexa, ask Roomba where it is
- Alexa, ask Roomba to sing for me
- Alexa, tell Roomba I found it
- Alexa, tell Roomba to be quiet
3. Schedule Future Cleanings
- Alexa, tell Roomba to list my cleaning schedule
- Alexa, ask Roomba to schedule vacuuming
- Alexa, tell Roomba to schedule cleaning in the kitchen on Mondays at 10am
- Alexa, tell Roomba to cancel vacuuming on Tuesdays
That's all she wrote...
And that should do it for this guide to Alexa Roomba commands!
We hope you enjoyed it and that it adds a little more convenience and productivity to your 2021.
If you’re hooked on these voice superpowers and looking for more areas to exercise them, be sure to check out some of our other smart home commands guides below:
Finally, if you have any questions or suggestions, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment here.
Otherwise, give those hands a break, vacuum with your voice, and we hope to see you back here soon!
The Commands Guru