Updated: July 29, 2021
We created this guide to Vizio Alexa Commands to help others learn voice control faster and more comprehensively.
It’ll cover a few topics:
- Compatibility: The Vizio TV models that work with voice assistants like Alexa?
- Set-Up: How to set up voice control on your Vizio TV for various model years
- Voice Commands: The full set of Vizio Alexa commands to control your TV
Let’s dive in.
Using Alexa With Vizio TVs
Founded in Irvine, California in 2002, Vizio is a rising star in the smart TV market and the only American company among the major TV manufacturers.
Let’s first dig into one of the most common questions about Vizio TVs:
Can I Control My Vizio TV With Alexa?
This means that, for 2017-2019 Vizio TVs, you have to connect an Amazon Echo smart speaker (e.g., an Echo Dot, or Echo Show) to your TV in order to use Alexa voice commands.
With 2020 TVs, you can use Alexa voice control right out-of-the-box, as an Echo speaker is built-in to your TV.
Vizio Alexa Commands
Without further ado, here is the full list of Alexa voice commands for Vizio TV, organized into seven categories based on what you’re controlling:
- Alexa, turn on [TV]
- Alexa, turn off [TV]
Note: In order to use these commands, “Power Mode” in your Vizio TV’s settings must be set to “Quick Start Mode”.
- Alexa, switch input to HDMI 1 on [TV]
- Alexa, switch input to SmartCast
- Alexa, next channel on [TV]
- Alexa, previous channel on [TV]
- Alexa, set the volume to 15 on [TV]
- Alexa, turn down the volume
- Alexa, mute [TV]
- Alexa, unmute [TV]
- Alexa, show me [movie / show] on [TV]
- Alexa, show me [actor] movies on [TV]
- Alexa, show me [genre] movies on [TV]
- Alexa, launch [app] on [TV]
- Alexa, play on [TV]
- Alexa, pause
- Alexa, fast forward
- Alexa, rewind
- Alexa, turn on text-to-speech on [TV]
- Alexa, turn on Zoom on [TV]
- Alexa, set speech rate to [Fast] on [TV]
And that should do it for this guide! If you have any questions or suggestions, don’t hesitate to leave a comment or send us an email.
For those with additional, non-Vizio smart TVs or streaming media players, check out a couple of our related commands guides below.